Monday, August 9, 2010

Featured Member Week #2 -

This week we'd like to shine our spotlight on Aletha!! This was the first card of Aletha's I ever saw and ever since I have been inspired by her!!
Now, let's get to know Aletha a bit better -
My name is Aletha and I live in Tulsa, OK. I was raised in Claremore, OK. I am married to a very supportive husband who is an artist also. He is a well known writer/editor in the energy business.

I also have two grown children, a daughter and son. Our daughter and son-in-law has blessed us with two grandsons, 15 and 12 years old. Our son married in 2009 to a wonderful young lady. He just graduated from Oklahoma University’s Law School. And, he has just taken the Texas bar. To date, no word on the testing. We are so proud of both of them!

I am a self-taught artist all around. My husband calls it “raw talent.” And now, I get to concentrate on my creative side. As of November 2009 I became disable and unable to work outside the home. I am on oxygen 24/7. So, with the support of my husband and family, I am thankful to say that I am a very lucky artist. I am able to practice more each day. I am still slow, but getting faster. I am truly blessed.

I am so excited to be part of The Stamping Boutique’s design team. This is a very talented group of artists. And we get to work with Tracey’s imagination. Let the creativity roll!

I do have a blog AJ's Designs. Please stop by sometime. And I really appreciate followers.

How long have you been paper crafting?
I have got to say, for the art that I am doing right now, about 10 years.

How did you get started in paper crafting?
I was a graphic/print production artist in the old days…meaning that my art was all done manually. There were no computers involved. And I had no formal training in any of the creative areas that I have worked in through the long years. It was all “on-the-job-training.”

What crafting item can you not live without?
I have several items that I could not live without…my Xacto knife, cutting mat, and rubber or digi stamps. I am obsessed about collecting stamps. I feel like that I am collecting these little pieces of art.

What is your favorite paper crafting company?
This is really a hard question. I shop at Hobby Lobby and Michaels when I get out. Now online is another story. My top one is, of course, http://thestampingboutique.com I purchase other supplies from http://stampingscrapping.com , http://allthatscraps.com , the list can go on and on.

What is your favorite coloring medium?
This year, my favorite is Copics. I started teaching myself Copics in January. I love having all those colors in front of me. Last year and all the years before that it was watercolor in all forms. My water coloring started in high school.

Do you have any other hobbies?
I read and watch TV. I am also on the treadmill every day, so I am counting that as a hobby. It’s really part of rehab, but if I think of it has a hobby, it is a little easier to do. LOL

Is there anything else you would like to share about yourself?
I can’t think of anything else. But I will say…if you have the creative bug, do it! My favorite quote is from Picasso, “Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” I also say the Serenity prayer a lot too. That tends to calm me down.

Here are some of her favorite works!!





I hope you have enjoyed getting to know Aletha a bit more.

Hope to see you at The Latte Lounge soon!!! Blessings!!

4 comments:

Rhonda Miller said...

Wow, these creations are gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

WOW! I came across some of your creations thru the Bloghop last week! I'm so impressed! And to think you do it all with an oxygen mask at all times, even the treadmill!
You truly are an inspiration!

Ms. Jen said...

Aletha - Beautiful work! The top card is my all time fav! WOWZA

Janette said...

Fabulous work,so creative.xx